Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Paul's Letter to the Ephesians - An Introduction
LISTEN! to the Introduction on: SOUNDCLOUD!
Paul’s Greatest Church Planting Success
20 December 2017
Archdale church of Christ – Russ McCullough
Lesson #2 – Introduction
1. Both the author and the recipient are clearly S______________ in 1.1.
2. This Letter to the Ephesians was actually the _______ letter of Paul as we know from 3.1 – 4. The referenced letter is lost to history by the W_____ of the H__________ S______________.
3. The city of Ephesus was likely the _______ largest city in the Roman Empire and had an estimated population of _______________ or more based upon the _______________ seat capacity theater.
4. Ephesus was the capital of the Roman province of A___________.
5. Many early manuscripts do not contain the name of “Ephesus,” and is a likely an indication of the fact that the book, like others, was ENCYLICAL which literally means: __________________________________________.
6. Our English word “encyclical” was first used in ca. ___________ and originates from both the Latin and Greek languages. Latin: encyclicus. Greek: enkyklios. Both words mean the same: en (in) + cyclicus / kyklios (circle). Our common English usage means: “a letter written to each member of a singular group by rotation one to another.”
7. We know from history that it was common practice that once a letter was R__________ to the congregation, it would be C__________ before the A__________________ was sent to the next congregation. This constant “passing around” wore the original A____________ out almost immediately.
8. By the “encyclical method,” each congregation over time would have a L____________ of all the New Testament books.
9. This “encyclical” model was adopted on the American Frontier by the practice of C______________ R____________ P_________________.
10. This was “standard operating procedure” in the 1st century church of Christ as we see from Colossians 4.16 and also seen in Paul’s letters to Timothy, Titus, and Philemon. It is most clearly stated in the Book of R_____________ where the E____________ List is stated precisely.
11. From Acts 28 we know that Paul was imprisoned in Rome ca. 0060. From here in prison Paul wrote what have come to be known as the P_________ E____________, one of which is Ephesians. We know this from 6.18 – 20.
12. The first mention of the church of Christ in Ephesus was in Acts 18 while A__________ and P_____________. There they converted A____________. It is only after this in Acts 19 that P ______ comes to the great city.
13. Ephesus was a great S____________ on the C___________River. (Centuries later Ephesus was abandoned when silt filled the harbor.) She was of great economic prowess and competed with the great cities of R___________, A_____________ of P___________, A_____________ , A___________ of S__________, C__________________and C_______________for prominence in the ancient world.
14. Ephesus as renowned as a great religious center and was home to the temple to the goddess A____________ or as the Romans called here, D____________. This temple was one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. There was a booming tourist trade where S__________ artisans sold S_______________ of the goddess for the gullible to take back home.
15. Paul met with such success in Ephesus that he stayed here about ______ years. For the first ______ months he preached at the J____________ S_______________. After being “asked to leave” he spoke daily for 2 years at the L______________ Hall of T___________________.
16. The letter to the Ephesians is a didactic book in New Testament genre. A didactic book is one centered in D____________. “Didactic” means “…designed or intended to T__________.” The English form of this word was first used ca. 1658 and comes to us from the Greek word didakticos which means “A_____ to T____________.”
17. After Paul’s 3-year service, T______________ was sent by Paul for “perhaps a year and a half” to deal with F_________ D_____________ being taught primarily by H______________ and A________________
(I Timothy 1.3, 20) During Timothy’s tenure the congregation was burdened with “F____________ and endless G_______________.” (I Timothy 1.4)
18. The Ephesians also wrestled with “forbidding of M______________ and A________________ from certain F____________.” (I Timothy 4.3)
19. The letter to the Ephesians has two distinct parts. The first 3 chapters deal almost exclusively with D_____________ while the last 3 deals almost exclusively with C________________ L____________.
20. These issues came about as these former P______________ and worshippers of A_________________ came into the faith and practice of Christianity.
21. In the ongoing years the congregation O__________________ and became so doctrinally rigid that 36 years later Christ Himself said in Revelation 2 that they had “L__________ their F___________ L___________.”
22. Two key doctrines covered by Paul in this letter are: 1) The M_____________ of the church, and, 2) The B___________ of Jesus Christ. The book also has much to say about God’s C________________.
Reference: MacArthur, John (The MacArthur Bible Handbook, Thomas Nelson & Co)., 2003, pg. 399 - 402
1 1. Stated
2. 2nd, Will of the Holy Spirit
3. 2nd, 250,000 / 25,000
5. “In wheel”
7. Read, Copied, Autograph, Autograph
9. Circuit Rider Preachers
10. Revelation, Entire
11. Prison Epistles
12. Aquilla & Priscilla, Apollos, Paul
13. Seaport, Cayster, Rome, Antioch, Pisidia, Alexandria, Antioch, Syria, Carthage, Corinth
14. Artimes, Diana, Silver, Statuettes
15. Three, Six, Jewish Synagogue, Lecture, Tyrannus
16. Doctrine, Teaching, Apt, Teach
17. Timothy, False Doctrine, Hymenaeus, Alexander, Fables, Geneologies
18. Marriage, Abstinence, Foods
19. Doctrine, Christian Living
20. Pagan, Artimes
21. Overcompensated, Lost, First Love
22. Mystery, Blessings, Character
LISTEN! to a short summary of this class on SOUNDCLOUD! https://soundcloud.com/archdale-church-of-christ/ephesians-110-14-10-january-2018...
Despite the fact that no such thing as the "Sinner's Prayer" appears anywhere in the Bible and despite that fact that no one...
Gospel Call Media: (Charlotte, NC) On June 25 - 27, Lord willing, this reporter will attend an event to be held at Lipscomb University ...
S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald, 1958 - 1975  10 November 1975 was a dark, cold and stormy night on Lake Superior just off Cl...